Official Upcoming Release Schedule!

Due to changes in how my publisher assigns dates, I won't have release dates until I finish the book. I'm currently working on:

Taking the Realm which is book 3 of Sha and Connor's trilogy (previously titled Shaking the Balance)

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Musings from my Phone: Plot ideas

Let's face it, you've wondered at some point how authors come up with their plot ideas. Some dream about them, others take inspiration from things they've read, and still others can't really answer where their ideas come from because they magically appear in their imagination.

So, where do I get my plot ideas? Nobody's asked me that question for a while, but I'll answer it anyway.

I get them from all different sources. For one thing, I have a warped mind and constantly daydream. I hold conversations with characters when I get bored. I used to think I was insane because of those conversations, but I know the characters aren't real and I decided I'm just weird.

Breaking the Nexus drew inspiration from a few external sources as a way to reconcile my constant daydream that magic exists and mythical creatures are real. Nobody can tell me that I won't one day have magical powers. Daddy always said I could be anything I wanted to be, and I've decided I'm going to be a Sorceri.

I'm also inspired by mythology and other books I've read. My sister drilled into me an appreciation for classical mythology as well as my own fascination with all things Celtic (as if that weren't already obvious lol). Sometimes listening to epic music will inspire a plot point or battle scene. Other times, a funny phrase will spark my imagination.

The best inspiration can come from my amazing beta readers who know just how to ask me the questions that get my creative juices flowing. If I'm stuck at a certain area or I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, one of them is always there to help give me that not-so-gentle shove right where I need it. Plus, they have the patience of saints. Literally. You should ask them sometime how mean I am to give them a scene that leaves them begging for more only to then have to wait weeks for the writing fairy to return to me.

Every once in a while, a few simple words trigger an avalanche of ideas. When I came up with a certain book title, I had the best inspiration for where that book would end up that I started dancing around in my car. You should've seen the looks I got from the other cars around me. Then again, I usually get weird looks because I like doing my happy dance wherever I am :) I seriously cannot WAIT until you people read that book, but I don't want to give away anything so I'll endeavor to keep my mouth shut.

So there you have it, lovelies. Now you know how I get my plot ideas and I should probably go back to thinking up those delicious plot ideas so my betas finally get more content :D

No comments:

Post a Comment