Official Upcoming Release Schedule!

Due to changes in how my publisher assigns dates, I won't have release dates until I finish the book. I'm currently working on:

Taking the Realm which is book 3 of Sha and Connor's trilogy (previously titled Shaking the Balance)

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review of Soul Sister by Janiera Eldridge

Happy Sunday lovelies! Today I'm reviewing Soul Sisters by the fantabulous Janiera Eldridge!! Let's get to it, shall we?

Review of Soul Sisters

About the book:
Publisher: Janiera Eldridge
Price: $0.99
Length: 136 pages
Genre: Urban fantasy
Description (from Amazon.com):

Soul Sisters is an urban fantasy novel about African-American twin sisters Ani and Dana who have a rather unique secret: one sister is human while the other is a vampire. While the sisters have lived peacefully with each other for many years one fateful night will change both their lives forever. When a drunken man tries to attack Dana (the human sister) Ani (the vampire sister) protects her sister with all of her ferocious power.

However, when the vampire’s leader Donovan finds out about the public display he calls for the sisters to be assassinated for disobedience. Ani and Dana now are in for the fight of their lives to protect each other as well as the lives of their dedicated friends who have joined them on their mission for survival. If Dana and Ani can make it through this time of uncertainty, Ani can take her new place as vampire queen. Soul Sisters is expected to be a trilogy; The book also features a multicultural cast of characters that brings a new edge of chic to the vampire world.

What I liked:

I adored how unique the premise of this story was. Basically, Dana gives her soul to Donovan in exchange for saving the love of her life. In doing so, her soul sister, Ani, is created. Ani is Dana's identical twin except for one key difference: Ani is a vampire. That right there is an awesome concept and so unique from anything I've ever read. Overall I thought this was pretty good, there was some romance, plenty of adventure, and a great relationship. The sisters are over 100 years old and you get flashbacks from present day to when Dana was younger and first gives away her soul. These are handled in separate chapters so it's clear when the flashbacks occur. I felt this was a great way to approach these and I think they really enhanced the story.


What I didn't like:

There are a couple of things that bothered me about this story. First of all, the formatting needs to be redone. Initially I was given a review copy but I bought the book on Amazon since it's only $0.99. Before I get into the formatting issues, let me say that I have a Kindle keyboard. Now, there are no indentations for the start of a paragraph and except in a few places, there's no extra white space between paragraphs. This made it very distracting when reading because it felt like the text all ran together. Additionally, the chapters didn't have definitive breaks so it was easy to miss the heading "Chapter X" amidst all of the text. Maybe it doesn't look so bad on other Kindles, but on mine it made me have to focus a bit more and disrupted my ability to truly become immersed.

My other issue was with the style. The author jumps perspective and sometimes I'd get confused about whose thoughts I was reading. You'd have a large block of one character's perspective then suddenly it would jump to someone else's. With no clear breaks in white space or anything to indicate a section break, it was jarring.


Overall Verdict: 4/5 Blue Duckies!

The story and premise in general were great and really interesting. It definitely kept me reading and I was dying to find out what happened next. I just wish it were better formatted and that the author hadn't jumped perspectives so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment